Monday, December 06, 2010

The Week After & The Weeks Before



The brief hiatus between Thanksgiving and December's finer moments - from Hanukkah to Christmas to New Year are often a blur. This year, I'm trying to slow down - despite a lot of personal and professional activity and savor each moment in my home and with my family & friends. It's always a time to "take stock', no matter what your philosophy,since it's the end of the year. It's also a time when it's easy to get drawn into a lot of false activity - a kind of hurry, hurry attitude that leads me to wonder what I was hurrying toward or for.

I'm working on some deadline driven projects for a friend/designer who has a business, trying to finish a pair of lovely little fingerless gloves for a holiday gift, readying my home for the quiet season and remembering season's past that nurtured my heart and many that I miss. I think the reason that I never took photos is that I didn't wish to remember that which was lost and winter is especially poignant in that it is filled with memories of those I loved who are lost for now or forever.

But, on a cheerier note, it is also a season when the eyes of those new to the world (or relatively so) remind us of the joy of wonder and renewal.

It is, as well, a season filled with the most glorius music and beauty. I am currently considering the following musical options:
Annual Holiday Concert featuring the Scandia Brass Quintet
Sunday, December 12, 4 pm
$15 ($10 ASF Members)
Scandinavia House
58 Park Ave. (@ 38th Street)
New York, NY 10016
Tel: 212.779.3587
Scandinavia House

Scandinavia House is home to The American-Scandinavian Foundation (ASF). It offers a wide range of programs that encompass the visual arts, music, and literature of the Scandinavian countries, along with business, finance, and technology. These programs include art, design, and historical exhibitions as well as films, concerts, readings, lectures, symposia, language courses, and children’s programming.

And, of course, every New Yorker worth his Metro Card knows about this:
Available Holiday Concerts at the Metropolitan Museum of Art:
ABYSSINIAN BAPTIST CHURCH CHOIR Thursday, December 16, 8:30 PM
LIONHEART Tuesday, December 21, 8:30 PM
BURNING RIVER BRASS Thursday, December 23, 3:00 PM

Visit: http://www.metmuseum.org/tickets to see availabilities

And for those among us who love Booklyn and the Sea (can you imagine not loving both?)
please check out: http://www.bargemusic.org/calendar.html
This is a magical venue in an incredibly history rich and well loved section of one of the best places on earth - Brooklyn!



And for the craftiest of souls - and there are many among us, I recommend a visit to the following places:
Knitty City - 208 w. 79th St. - A veritable emporium of yarns & last minute project ideas.

Tinsel Trading - a wonder filled shop of beautiful trims and ideas

2010 Holiday Craftacular - @ the Metropolitan Pavilion, Sunday, 12.12.10

Well, that's a wrap - actually, I'm not nearly at that stage, but more posting will have to wait. There's another deadline looming within the next few hours and I have to get on with the business of it!

See you at the Craftacular on Sunday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home