Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Moving - August 1, 2006

There is nothing like a move to play havoc with ones moods. Even though I am not leaving my beloved New York, I am leaving a house that has sheltered my family and my dreams for over 8 years. I don’t have to tell anyone who’s done it –and who among us hasn’t? – that it’s a very difficult experience.

Like illness (or the threat of it), moving has a tendency to clarify one’s priorities. As I go through all of our many possessions, it’s interesting to note the ones that call out to me strongly me. As a knitter, it’s obvious that many of the things I cherish are knitting related: books, old patterns, posters (of knitters and sheep), and a small treasure trove of fine yarns. As a mother, it’s the tiniest of objects – a pair of shoes, my daughter’s “first” eyeglasses, her baby bonnets, pictures of my youngest daughter in her first real prom dress. And as an individual? My small collection of south east asian Buddhas and icons– now more than ever, I need the love and protection their simple shapes deliver.

Wish me luck as I embark on the next step

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck Phyllis with this next step in your life. Sorry to see you go neighbor!

10:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

As one who has moved too many times, I sympathise with you. I hope it is a good move.

I do enjoy reading here, New York is my favourite place to visit and your blog gives me a little taste of it.

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home