Monday, February 07, 2005

Knitting for Love

I have just returned from 3 lovely days in florida. Never thought I'd work up any enthusiasm about the state, but lo and behold, this was a real treat! A pal of ours just bought a wonderful little house on the water - about l5 minutes from St. Petersburg and he needed a little housewarming - so off we went.

It was wonderful. I had two just the right-age men all to myself and we sat on the beach, took long walks, drank wine, ate good food and took bike rides. Wonder of wonders, both of the guys like to go sifting through old antique stores - in moderation of course - and only as a precursor to the super bowl party we attended.

While there, I started a bunch of mini projects - and this is the point of my online discourse. I can't believe I actually did this - I went off the deep end and I don't mean the pier. I crossed the divide from necessity knitting to ridiculous knitting and it only took a hank of yarn and a pair of size 1 needles.

I made Barbie Clothes! A grown woman, with a decent sense of herself and fleeting time, actually sat on the beach in broad daylight and knitted an itty bitty bathing suit, pants, sweater and a evening gown. My only excuse is that I did it all for love - the love of my 5 year old niece. Now, under the best of circumstances, Barbie was never my cup of tea. She's way too "built", way too over-accessorized and she's been 'round the block way too many times, if you ask me. They can dress this dolly up all they want, stick a briefcase in her little hand and call her a lawyer, she'll always be Ms. Las Vegas to me and a unnatural role model at that! (Whew! I get a little worked up on this subject!)

As I sat there knitting, I pondered the great eternal question that all philosophy prone knitters tend to ponder: Why do I do this thing? Sometimes I do it for the sheer beauty of it, sometimes I do it because I love the way handknitted items feel and look, sometimes I do it for the relaxation it provides, most of the time I do it for all of these reasons. ALL the time I do it because I love the recipient - and that includes myself. While I'll never love Barbie, I do love the look of delight I see on my god-daughter's little face when she opens her gift - and at the end of the day, that's the best reason of all.

For my few stalwart readers: I SWEAR pictures are coming. I know how important they are and now that I have outfitted Barbie, I must do contrition by posting pictures of my finished products on line. Be patient and come back soon ( just not today).





3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Must. See. Barbie clothes.

xox Kay

11:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're not getting out of here without showing us the Barbie clothes. I have a special place in my heart for Barbie clothes.

I know what you mean about ridiculous knitting. I love it all--the sublime and the just plain weird.

Trying to figure out some tribute knitting related to The Gates. Must start with search for saffron yarn. Please post about The Gates!

xoxoxo Ann

6:50 PM  
Blogger alltangledup said...

It's been 8 days ... where are those Barbie pictures that you have been tantalising us with? I'm not being impatient, but I MUST see.

I didn't grow up with Barbie. My mom thought that she was a bit of a tart and lived in fear that we would grow up and dress like her.

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home