Friday, January 28, 2005

What is it about socks?

I don't understand my own aversion. Blog after blog, book after book, knitter after knitter, I see the most wonderful patterns and the most wonderful colors for sock yarns. So a few month's back, when my dear friend asked me to teach her, I said, "It will be a pleasure". Dutifully, we went downtown to seaport yarn where we chose our patterns, chose our yarn and came home. Since that day of casting on and beginning, I have never picked it up again, either has she. It's not for lack of knowledge, say I exhibiting pride up the kazoo. It's for pure lack of interest. I don't get it. They're portable, pretty, not overly expensive to produce and said to keep one warm and wear well. I am totally apathetic or sock bored, if you will.

I can only surmise that it cuts too close to the bone. My mom was a very poor farmer's daughter from a very poor area of the midwest which she detested. (Insert picture of scarlet o'hara raising her fist to the heavens and vowing to never go hungry. Then replace her with a little farmer girl who vowed to never make socks, again - In my fantasy, that was my mom) It's the only explanation I can come up with - and, at the end of the day, it's probably not true.

Perhaps it is just that I am afraid that the damn will finally burst and I'll start making socks instead of dinner. In any event, if anyone reads this, perhaps they can share with me their own feelings about socks.

I promise, pictures, soon.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Socks? Ech! I'm with you, totally. Just don't get all the excitement. I wear socks out so fast that it would make me really sad to do all that kitchenering and turning of heels and whatoozie only to see the heel go thin after a couple of months. I started a sock, once, but it was so terrible it turned into a hat, and a bad one at that. I'm happy for the sockists of the world, but I doubt you'll ever see me knitting one!

MDK Ann

6:51 PM  
Blogger benedetta said...

Hi Phyllis, so nice to have found you!
Sorry it took me long. Thanks for all your nice words and suggestions, very appreciated!
As for socks, I have been tempted to knit a couple of pairs, because, as you said, there are so many beautiful patterns and yarns around. And I wear them frequenly, especially in this weather. But I do not love knitting them at all, not sure why, and therefore it takes me ages to finish a pair. Certainly not addictive for me. Still, I probably will knit some more, because of of all the above reasons.
Maybe you should just try one, you'll soon know what it is that holds you back, if anything.
As for your other projects, I did knit 3-finger gloves (or mittens)when I was doing a lot of field-work, they are extremely useful to operate binoculars without getting all your fingers frozen (I had to spend hours observing the mating behavior of fallow deer!)
And your nephew sweater looks lovely! I will look out for the Odissey, but I am committee to work from stash for the next few months!

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to knit socks, but never get around to it. Once, I did not understand why handknit socks would be preferable to the store-bought kind. Then a very special someone knit me 2 pairs of socks, and they are definitely superior in fit, warmth, and the joy of looking at one's feet in them. But I still just cannot get up the gumption to spend precious knitting time making socks. I am sure I would have to knit mismatched pairs, because I would succomb to Second Sock Syndrome. I also do not especially like to knit with dpns. So there. Someday, the urge will come over me and I will be preaching sock-knitting from the rooftops. xoxo Kay

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home