Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Wherein the saga continues...Part II

And off we go....
We returned home that pre-thanksgiving night - defeated. We took a cab - what the hell is another $65.00 when you're losses are alreadyn racking up faster than the national debt? I kept on telling myself that nothing was gained by flinging accusations of carelessness, so i reached down into my stony little coal of a heart and found a little ember, fanned it, and said, "You must feel terrible." Whereupon, my husband who has recently embraced (along with yoga) a zen like philosophy said, 'No, not really. It's been a large learning experience and a bit liberating." Dear reader I know this makes me sound hideously human but I realized right then and there my entire philosophy of forgiveness (as far as men are concerned, anyway) is that I can only proffer it sincerely if the offending party is gracious and grateful for my compassion. Nonetheless, I also realized that if the next two weeks were to go forth without legal action or bloodshed, it was important that I swallow my tongue along with my bile and do it immediately. I therefore shut up and down and said nothing.

Now to the redeeming part: He may have said he did not feel badly, but his actions demonstrated otherwise. We weren't back in the house for 2 mins, before he hit the computer and the phone and called Continental airlines. Remember all those frequent flyer miles? They come in handy right about now. Thanks to the compassionaate and intelligent help of Continental, and after countless consultations with his overly polite, and quite stony spouse (that be me!), he was able to book a new flight out the folloiwing night. We'd lose Venice, but gain Brussels - and that meant a trip to Bruges - a city I have long wanted to visit. Furthermore, Continental would fly us business class in order to soften the blow. It cost us some additional miles, but it was his way of reaching out, believe me. How do i love Continental and their compassionate staff? In inverse proportion to how much I detest Air France -and that's a big number, believe me.

Twenty four hours later, after triple checking the departure airport, we were bound for Newark and in the right direction. The fight over was flawless and Bruge was everything I expected....
Check back tonight for part 3 and the show and tell .....

2 Comments:

Blogger Mary deB said...

Wow, the things that happen when one turns one's back for moment! Quite the adventure so far! Hooray for frequent flyer points and boo hiss to snarky airlines. Looking forward to part 3!

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I typed in flyer frequent and flyer frequent, and your site came up. Oh well. Worth the read. Gotta run.

3:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home