Sunday, October 24, 2004

What Makes You Happy?

I sincerely wish to know - so please do tell me. That way I will know who I have reached, and what we have in common. I'll go first (surprise!). New York makes me happy. To go into the reasons why you'd need to speak with my shrink, my late parents, and my New York infused sense of what really counts in this world, but to put it succinctly, I think I love this city because it challenges me every day by never letting me be complacent and always tossing sweet surprises in my path. One of those sweet surprises came yesterday when i visited a terrific store named:
Mieko Mintz. It is a lovely shop located at 65 Thompson Street in Soho. The store is named after its owner who has an unerring sense of beauty and an appreciation for whimsy. She's very approachable - in fact, she approached me and we got to talking (not surprising!). Her store is filled with hand knit hats, scarves, clothes and accessories that she has made here and in Shanghai. She designs them and the world has started to beat a path to her door. Some have even sold out already. I wish she had a web-site, but she doesn't, yet - so I will just have to suggest to her that she build one. If you're in town, pls. go visit her. It's well worth the time.

Another very important find for me has been Tinsel Trading (www.tinseltrading.com). This is hands-down, one of the neatest and most unique trim and notions stores in New York - and in this city that's saying a lot. The story behind the store is neat, as is the owner, Marcia. - so go visit her site and read it. If you make anything by hand - or even if you don't - it's an inspiration just to visit there. Whimsy (a big word in my vocabulary) is in the details and this place is packed solid with fabulous treasures - a lot of which are vintage!

And before I go, here's a picture of something else I love - pictures which capture the moment, perfectly. This is my friend's new niece, and the resident cat who has still not recovered from the arrival of her charming competition. As is the way with innocence, the baby is blissfully unaware of the feelings of the "offended" party as she continues to exude good will and drool.

3 Comments:

Blogger alltangledup said...

A few things that make me happy ...

a big cup of strong coffee in the morning
spending time with friends and family
my peonies flowering
coming home (no matter how great a trip, I've had, I'm always happy to come home)

Lovely site, keep up the posts.

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the knitblog universe !

Things that make me happy : husband,son,friends,knitting,yarn,colour,books,art,fresh air,the sea,weather !,gardening,cooking and learning new stuff related to the previous.

Emma.

http://emma.prettyposies.com

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back when the war was starting I had many sleepless nights. I was in a funk. So I sent a request to all my friends: what songs make you happy? I received a list of over 200 songs and have since compiled 4 cds. Everytime I listen to them I think of my friends and get happy. (some examples: Gloria Gaynor's "It's Raining Men", "We Are Family", Prince's "Let's go Crazy", "Footloose", anything by ABBA)

-SeattleSteph

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home